Bev Benson has the Experience
Elected in 2014, effective Jan. 5, 2015. Current term expires Jan. 2021.
J.D., William Mitchell College of Law, 1985
Graduate Studies, Luther Seminary, 1982
B.A., Augsburg College, cum laude, Political Science, 1981
- Hennepin County Attorney’s Office (Murder, Domestic Abuse, Sexual Assault, Child Abuse, Criminal Vehicular Homicide, and Appellate Specialties), 1989-2015
- Stearns County Attorney’s Office (Felony, Juvenile, and Misdemeanor Prosecution), 1986–1989
- Dakota and Hennepin County Attorney’s Offices, Law clerk, 1984-1985
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, Legal intern, 1983
- U.S. Congress and Minnesota Legislature, Intern, 1981
- State Services for the Blind, 1980–1982
Fourth Judicial District Committee Assignment:
- Equal Justice Committee Member, Fourth Judicial District Bench, (July 2019 to Present)
- Warrant Forgiveness Hotline Committee (2019 to Present)
Local, state, national and international speaker on a variety of topics including: domestic violence, sexual assault, trial skills, law enforcement training on search and seizure/Fourth Amendment and Fifth Amendment issues, report writing and courtroom testimony. Former William Mitchell Adjunct Professor for Criminal Law Class, Former Mock Trial Attorney Coach for Minnesota State Bar Competitions, Former Forensic Judge for Minnesota State High School and College Competitions. Guest Speaker, Minnesota Department of Corrections, Addressing Supervised Release and Probation Violations for Probation and Parole Officers with an emphasis on supervising sex offenders (2019, 2018 and 2015).
Former Mock Trial Judge for Hamline University Law School, William Mitchell Law School, St. Thomas Law School competitions and University of Minnesota undergraduate mock trial competitions.